My vision for Window Wanderland is to create a stable, sustainable ‘dandelion‘ that grows once a year with seeds blowing off it all directions. By using technology and having a central hub for people to come to means we can share the images, resources and support each other.
It is ‘small, gentle and slow‘ not ‘bigger, stronger, faster’. This makes writing a ‘killer-thirty-second-evelavator-pitch‘ for potential funders really difficult, as it is just not that sexy!
What it is:
- Involves everyone: young, old, borrowed, blue, not just one group in the community, this is it’s most serious part.
- It is healthy, gets you out and about in the evening at a time when you are normally on the sofa.
- Easy to participate in, it’s in your own home, on your doorstep.
- It is non-commercial, there is no advertising of peoples work unlike an Arts Trail.
- Due to it’s specific marketing it is Non-judgemental as it steers clear of the word ‘Art’, this allows for wide engagement and creativity to emerge.
- Brings pride to your community.
- By being open we encourage those who feel isolated in their communities to participate.
- It increases peoples confidence by making the streets safer places to be.
- It is just good for you at we know the benefits of creativity to our souls.
- It is hyperlocal, egalitarian and super friendly.
- It celebrates each neighbourhood by sharing their images with the larger Window Wanderland community.
- It shares resources, as organisers feedback their experience making it even easier to make.
- This is not an event that needs to be ‘created for you‘ by an outsider, all you need is on the website.
- It’s for your community to make from the ground up, you are the show.
This is why a short soundbite is really hard to write (suggestions on an e-card please!) and also why it has been such a difficult path to tread. After searching for models for this project they simply do not exist without subsidising or sponsorship.
You will see lots of ‘hearts’ in a Window Wanderland, that is because at the centre of this is a lot of love: not wishing to ‘hippy-out’ on you but we need this kind of project, especially now.
This event has been created out of the spirit of sharing, my goal is an open source resource for everyone to use and make their own events. I know from experience that great community events will happen by the sheer sweat from a handful of people, but repeating these becomes impossible. I have spent all this time putting the resources needed in one place so that the organising can be passed on easily, making it sustainable. Each year the event is different, and many people will not sign up the first year until they have seen one happen.
With the right support Window Wanderland could be people created and people owned. A place see inspiring images and read stories using the website and social media. The problem I have is the building and managing of the IT and sustaining the project with no money. I have given my time to make this with a handful of intermittent volunteers.
Other projects like this have funding or sponsors to do what they do, so until Lady Luck comes our way we simply have to put a small charge in which is hard as we all expect stuff to be free now, and I would like this to be as free as possible.