What Window Wanderland is about:
- Celebrating communities. It’s a creative way to get to know neighbours. Which makes people feel proud.
- Wandering. This is a chance for people to explore their local area on foot, to see new places, or to see familiar places in a new way.
- Everyone. Anyone can join in, the more the merrier, as a Wanderer or a Windowmaker.
- Making it easy We offer you the tools to put on your own event with ease.
What we’re NOT about:
- Money, profit or commercial gain. We are a not for profit organisation.
- Competition, it doesn’t matter if you are artistic or not, everyone can be involved.
It’s your community and your show.
Why this website?
Community events are massively beneficial for spreading happiness and a sense of belonging in neighbourhoods. But they often rely on the sweat, determination and dedication of a handful of people. It’s not always sustainable.
We know putting on a Window Wanderland event is definitely, definitely worth it. But it isn’t easy doing it by yourself. This website is designed to make it much easier. It is created by Window Wanderland CIC, a non-profit organisation that aims to spread happiness and bring communities together. We share everything we’ve learnt, offer inspiration and provide customisable toolkits, so organisers can create their own events, year after year, with ease.
How it all began…
Set designer, Lucy Reeves Khan started Window Wanderland in 2015, inspired by her vivid imagination, her deep-seated community spirit and her personal experiences of isolation due to years of chronic illness.
Lucy imagined her local streets alive with other people viewing dramatic, beautiful or just silly scenes in the windows around her neighbourhood. She wondered if, in the dark of winter, these displays would cheer up others too. She put on her first event in her own community. It was a huge success. Other areas wanted to join in, and the rest, as they say, is history…
If you want to read about HOW TO MAKE A DISPLAY, this is what Lucy has to say..