WELCOME Hosting and running a Window Wanderland event is fun, here is a video of one organiser talking about it. As part of your planning, please make sure you are compliant with any current Covid-19 restrictions in your local area. If you are in the UK here is the link to the government website.
It can be as big or small as you can manage. It brings people together, helps reduces social isolation, releases untapped creativity and can raise money for good causes all the same time. Plus it is a great way to get to know the people in your community:
1. Register your area with us
2. Find a friend or two to help
3. Choose what support you need
4. Raise money
5. Set the date and spread the word
6. Enjoy the event and celebrate!!!!
Register with us . The minute your registration is confirmed, you will have a professionally-designed web page you can share, where people can offer to help you or even start signing up to make a display while you plan.
What support do you need? Once you’ve got a bit of support in your community, choose the Window Wanderland event package with a toolkit that suits you.
If you are an organisation we have great success with extra support for the first year, from funding bids to workshops, contact us for more information. All our resources are designed to save you hours of work, and share the expertise of Window Wanderlanders worldwide.
Setting a date. You can make it anytime you want. If you want to use the windows as a lightbox, do it after dark, which means, if you want the kids to walk around in the dark, then Winter works best. There are trails happening in the Summer too, showing off gardens and daytime displays, especially during Covid19.
Whenever you do it we recommend months of slow marketing before the event, unless you already have an established network to engage, in which case this could be shorter. Most events have occurred between the end of January and early March, UK time, as they do not compete with other festivals. We provide tips on timings in our starter toolkit which you get on registration. As soon as you have a date (even a provisional one) we will set you up a Facebook event page so you can spread the word and connect with our community. When setting a date remember;
• A key element is making sure you give your neighbourhood plenty of preparation TIME, the more time in planning, the more people will display, it is not something that can be rushed. If doing an evening event, raise awareness as the nights get longer, so people can imagine the event.
• Avoid competing with existing festivals if possible Halloween, Bonfire night, and Christmas.
• Build up momentum once Christmas has finished and before your event starts, if doing in Winter.
Registering with us means you can collaborate – or avoid clashing – with other local Window Wanderlands.
Build a team. Things are more enjoyable when you find people to help you. With smaller Wanderlands another neighbour or friend will do the trick. For larger Wanderlands, three or four people make it manageable. Why not harness the power of an existing community group or PTA?
Once you register your area you can share the link around to allow volunteers to offer to help you.
Raising money. Your Wanderland can be as big or as small as you choose. If you are planning a small event in a close-knit community, your costs will be minimal and, in our experience, you can raise a significant amount for your charity or good cause. If your event is larger, you might need to budget for:
• Printing and delivery of flyers
• Printing maps of the trail.
• Fees if paying an organiser or artists for workshops, art materials etc
Some of the easiest ways to raise money include:
• Asking local traders for sponsorship (template letters are included in the Stage 1 registration kit).
• Asking for a small donation from each window maker.
• Selling hot chocolate/cakes on the night.
• Selling the route maps.
• Having donation buckets available on the night.
• Applying for a local community grant if you are part of a group.
If you’re organising a Window Wanderland event to raise money for charity, our toolkits can help. Using them, organisers have successfully applied for thousands of pounds of grant money to set up Window Wanderlands. Whichever kind of event you run, we can make it easier. Just pick the package that suits you best.
Spread the word. Your area will dictate how you do this. It may be as simple as sharing your Facebook event with your street, or you could be printing thousands of fliers. Depending on which package you choose, we can help with this.
Enjoy the event, share your photos and Celebrate your community! Now, you don’t need support for this bit, just have a great time!